I made this hearty soup for the 2nd time last night. It is a must try if you like creamy soups. I would rate the skill level for this recipes as EASY.
Creamy Potato Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: Serves 6
- 6 slices bacon (about 6 oz.), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 baking potatoes (about 2 lb. total), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
1. In a large pot over medium-high heat, cook bacon, stirring occasionally, until crisp and browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain. When cool enough to handle, crumble.
2. Discard all but 2 Tbsp. fat and return pot to medium heat. Add onion, garlic and thyme and sauté until onion is soft, about 7 minutes. Add potatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer until potatoes are tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Working in batches, process in blender with sour cream until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Ladle soup into bowls and top with chives and bacon.
- 13g (sat 7g)
Mamas New Shoes Recipe Notes- I don't have a blender (long story) so I used a mini food processor and it works just fine. I also used more than a cup of sour cream. I eyeballed it and I would say I used an extra 1/3 cup. I also added cheddar cheese for garnish. Why not, right?
This is a rather inexpensive meal that heats up well for leftovers. Here are printable coupons for Kraft cheese and Breakstone sour cream. (Thanks for the coupons, Saving with Shellie)